Elective Course: Training Athletes / Athletic Performance Training
The Athletic Performance Training course provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully work with athletic clients. Topics include:
- Reducing injury
- Maximizing athletic performance
- Learn principles of sports performance training
- Learn how to use the Optimum Performance Training (OPT) Model as it relates to sports performance training
- Gain confidence designing programs for each phase of training for the OPT Model consistent with the needs and goals of athletes
Primary textbook: National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) "Essentials of Sports Performance Training"
NPTI Reviews: what our students have to say ...
- Over 95% + agree that the Training Athletes / Athletic Performance Training elective exceeded their expectations and contributed greatly to their future personal training plans
- "The instructor is an incredible educator with an obvious athletic background. I really enjoyed his teaching style and personality. Awesome job teaching this elective."
- "The instructor did a great job of offering up new ideas for spotting and exercise program design. He made sure we were spotting correctly."
... and what do employers who hire NPTI Colorado graduates have to say ...
"We are a Colorado based fitness company who has benefited from hiring NPTI graduates. These personal trainers come to us prepared for the market and to succeed. In fact, one of the NPTI graduates we hired is now in the top 10 most successful trainers in our organization. I highly recommend that other club owners and operators create an alliance with NPTI."
- Amy T., Personal Training Director
Come visit the school to learn more!
[ DISCLAIMER: This course focuses primarily on NASM® "Performance Enhancement Specialist" (PES) program design, however, this course is not an NASM® sanctioned certification (which is separate and offered exclusively by NASM®). Whenever possible, NPTI Colorado will engage equipment and certification providers like NASM® and host a certification at an NPTI Colorado facility, oftentimes at a reduced cost to the NPTI Colorado student, graduate, or staff member. However, the cost of the certification is not included in this elective (or any elective). While NPTI Colorado offers a variety of certification related courses, the cost of the certification is never included in the student's tuition cost for multiple reasons strictly related to maintaining an economical total cost of tuition: a.) NPTI Colorado does not control the cost of any certification. Certification costs vary greatly (from $195 - $3,000+) and change without notice, b.) not all NPTI Colorado students want to take the certification, in fact, many students take the elective to learn and experience the training as a means of determining if s/he wants to take the next step and then secure certification later, c.) certification often requires the presence of a certifying agency employee which would cause delays in NPTI Colorado's 600 hour student schedule and unfairly limit class availability to day, night, and weekend students and d.) certification is often specific to an equipment manufacturer. While not always true, manufacturer specific content can be limited, biased, and sales based vs. science based. Manufacturer specific content can be without consideration to alternative forms of similar training, therefore the content can be contrary to NPTI Colorado's philosophy to teach a broad based, manufacturer agnostic, wide ranging curriculum.]