Personal Trainer Curriculum
"We are pleased to see a unique school like The National Personal Training Institute of Colorado providing 500 hours of intense personal trainer education so that their graduates are effective, safe and results oriented. Send us your personal fitness professionals! We want to interview them now for the many personal trainer and fitness management career opportunities available at 24-Hour Fitness."
- Bill Cecrle, 24-Hour Fitness District Manager
A Real Education with Practical, Hands-on Experience
NPTI Colorado delivers an intensive, 30-week hands-on and lecture based program divided into "Personal Training - Fundamentals" and "Personal Training - Advanced" semesters with applicable junior and senior classes (separated as needed depending on "Fundamental" and "Advanced" content).
This is not a "show up and pass" course. You will spend over 600 combined classroom and practical (hands-on) hours of your time learning and practicing valued processes, procedures, and knowledge that will set you apart from the average personal trainer in the "real world" using content from the most recognized certifying agencies in the fitness industry: ACE, ACSM, NSCA, NASM, HeartZones, International Kettlebell Fitness Federation (IKFF), and more.
The NPTI Colorado course includes practical, hands-on experience, classroom instruction, and special homework projects. Your day-to-day NPTI Colorado experience will include fitness center visits, anatomy/physiology instruction, case studies, muscle practicals, CPR / AED / First Aid certification, small group instruction, diet & nutrition, and the business of personal training.
In addition to the base course, students take electives specific to their chosen special interests such as:
- Training Obese Children
- Training Older Adults
- Advanced Training Methods
- Corrective Exercise Specialist
- Performance Enhancement Specialist
- Starting a Personal Training Business
- Tactical Training
NPTI Colorado has a flexible schedule to accommodate your busy lifestyle
Classes are held both days and evenings (Mon - Thurs) ... and if you like, you can switch between days and evenings to accommodate your schedule! Day / Evening classes enroll three - four times annually.
NPTI Colorado is an approved postsecondary, career technical school (since 2001), for both our Lakewood and Colorado Springs locations, as recognized by the State of Colorado, Department of Higher Education, Division of Private Occupational Schools, and accredited by the Council on Occupational Excellence (COE).
NPTI Colorado is the only accredited school in the United States dedicated solely to training personal fitness trainers and approved for international students, Title IV Federal Student aid, and VA Education Benefits by the Colorado State Approving Agency (CSAA). We are also quite unique in that we are not only a school teaching you what we “think” may be effective in your career, we KNOW what works in the fitness business because we are in the fitness business. Please see our fitness center website, www.PersonalBestDenverWest.com. You can even train your clients at our fitness center after you graduate.
NPTI Colorado students are tested every two to three weeks. A comprehensive mid-term and final examination include both practical and written test components. In summary, you’ll know your stuff when you graduate from NPTI Colorado and our gainfully employed graduates are a testament to that.
Specific Areas of focus include:
- Client Assessments (Initial Consultation & Fitness Assessments)
- Exercise Program Design & Implementation
- Proper Exercise Technique
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Biomechanics / Kinesiology
- The Business of Personal Training
Client Assessments and Exercise Program Design / Implementation
At NPTI Colorado, students will learn how to effectively conduct Initial Consultations and Fitness Assessments.
Specifically, students learn how to:
- Gather info regarding a client’s health history, injuries, goals, etc.
- Measure blood pressure, body composition, resting heart rate, cardiorespiratory fitness, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility.
Based on these findings, students then:
- Develop customized exercise programs appropriate for varied fitness goals.
- Learn how to choose proper frequency, intensity, time, and type of exercise.
- Get hands-on experience training a fellow student partner / client.
- Be coached on proper exercise technique, spotting and professional behavior in the personal training setting.
Detailed Anatomy and Physiology Instruction
In order to be safe and effective as a personal trainer, knowledge of the human body is crucial. At NPTI-CO, students learn about:
- Proper posture and body movements
- Planes of motion, joint actions
- Origin/insertion/action for all major muscles of the body
- Micro / macro anatomy and physiology
- Anatomy and physiology terminology
Diet and Nutrition Instruction
NPTI Colorado provides extensive diet and nutrition instruction covering:
- Description / analysis of macronutrients and micronutrients
- Detailed analysis of the body's energy systems
- Extensive discussion of popular and fad diets and myths
- Instruction on proper diets for fitness, performance, and health
- Practice in simulation of nutritional consultation
- Scope of practice for personal trainers as it relates to nutrition consultation
NPTI Colorado’s curriculum includes 100 hours of diet, nutrition, and consulting content... Knowing how the body is fueled is crucial to understanding how to train it. Our textbook, NSCA’s Guide to Sport & Exercise Nutrition takes a comprehensive look at these topics.
Business of Personal Training
NPTI Colorado knows that being a personal trainer requires more than just the experience to work with clients, it also requires the knowledge to run a successful business operation. As part of a student’s education and training, s/he will learn all aspects of running a personal trainer business.
- Finding and maintaining clients
- Legal and Administrative Issues
- Interviewing, resume writing, and business cards
- Sales and marketing
- Technology tools (e.g. client database management)
- Industry networking
- Business planning & development
Practical Internship (Optional)
Would you like to increase your hands-on experience with actual clients in a fitness facility working with an experienced personal trainer? Our personal trainer school offers optional 30 to 90 day internship opportunities.
During your internship, your responsibilities may include:
- Perform fitness assessments, program design, establishing / assessing goals
- Lead group classes (e.g. spinning, kettlebells, body sculpting, etc.)
- Perform diet and nutrition assessments, other client nutrition consulting